| || |
Signs of spring
March 2, 2012 - April Diodato
I wouldn't rely on a groundhog to handle my taxes or program my DVR, but when it comes to providing me with an accurate weather forecast, a marmot may truly be the one to trust. Exactly one month ago, Dunkirk Dave told us that we would have an early spring. Lo and behold, it's here today!
Aside from the current 50-degree temperature in Dunkirk and Fredonia, here are some more signs that spring is upon us:
- Big Dipper opens for the season this Saturday, March 3. It will be open 2-9 p.m.
- Construction season begins! Work on the Thruway between Exit 57 (Hamburg) and Exit 58 (Silver Creek) will begin on Monday, March 5. The traffic-halting nightmare continues until the fall. According to the press release provided by the New York State Thruway Authority, this is “the final year of this three-year, $91.2 million reconstruction project.” Worth every penny, I'm sure.
- There is just over a week until we set our clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Saving Time (Sunday, March 11 at 2 a.m.).
- SUNY Fredonia's spring break begins on Saturday, March 10 (or perhaps earlier for some).
- Spring collections are debuting in stores. Banana Republic just released its limited edition spring “Mad Men” line yesterday, designed in collaboration with the show's costume designer, Janie Bryant. Some of the items from the eagerly-anticipated collection have already sold out online.
- The just-as-eagerly-anticipated debut of the new season of “Mad Men” is now nearly three weeks away (Sunday, March 25).
Happy early spring!