Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Extras | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS

Scaring away the tourists

June 3, 2013

Editor, OBSERVER: I couldn’t resist piping in on the statement made (May 25) that if the current boating law was changed, non-residents would be arrested if they had not taken the boater safety......

« Back to Article

sort: oldest | newest




Jun-05-13 11:24 PM

When...typing on a laptop, sorry :)

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-05-13 11:23 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it's a HUGE problem in NY. People tow their boats for THOUSANDS of miles to boat without safety gear and a safety certificate. Whan is the legislature of NY going to pop their craniums out of their rectums?

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-05-13 6:20 PM

If I come to visit my family and we decide to play cards, does this mean I need a license to "Go Fish?"


1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-04-13 5:50 AM

Christopher is right, even CWP's from other states are not recognized by our state. But don't worry with all the Chestnut and Milfoil weed publicity who would want to come here anyway?

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-03-13 8:48 PM

Do we , or another state, need such a law. If there was a way to compare accidents in a non-certification state to a certified state..we could see if this is a real safety issue or more red tape and revenue source. Murder is against the law . We seem to have a lot of that. The law only a factor if you get caught.

2 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-03-13 5:07 PM


0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-03-13 1:16 PM

NYS never recognizes anyone else's standards or tests or qualifications for ANYTHING.

2 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-03-13 7:11 AM

I just had to check...most of the summer tourists to our area come from either Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Ohio law Ohio law requires boaters born on or after January 1, 1982, to successfully complete either a boating course or a proficiency exam in order to operate a boat powered by more than 10 horsepower.

Pa All personal watercraft operators over the age of 12 are required to carry the Pennsylvania Boating Safety Education Certificate when operating on state waters. Additionally, any person born on or after January 1, 1982 must carry the safety certificate if they operate a vessel over 25hp on state waters.

1 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-03-13 7:05 AM

I would like to know if there is a provision in this bill to accept the certification from other states, much like we do driver's license issued in other states. If not, did Rep Goodell propose such an amendment?

Thirty other states, including neighboring states, have enacted similar legislation. All we have to do is accept the certification they got from their home state. If they have not been certified, taken a course, passed a test, then do we really want them coming into our state operating a boat that could pose danger for our citizens?

I do not think this law is necessarily a bad one. I do hope though that we recognize any certification already given by another state. We have MANY out of state summer visitors..and summer our area and many of them operate boats.

0 Agrees | 5 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 9 of 9 comments

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
Remember my email address.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web