That same year, Robert W. Seaver, a soldier of the Revolutionary War, was the first to settle in what is now known as Charlotte Center, the town’s second settlement. About that same time, others also arrived in the area, including William Devine and B. Edson. John B. Cardot from France, was another early settler.
Charlotte Center would eventually become a flourishing community including a shingle and grist mill, a steam cheese box factory, a turning machine and planing factory, a general store, tin shop, two blacksmith shops, a cheese factory, public hall and post office.
Also in 1809, Major Samuel Sinclear, along with his large family settled in a wooded section that now forms the intersection of the village of Sinclairville’s Park and Water streets, leading from the village to Charlotte Center and to Cherry Creek. There Sinclear built a log home, which would be used for meeting on Sundays, and would serve as the town’s first school during weekdays.
In 1810, Sinclear erected a sawmill and, in 1811, he built a frame home. The two structures were the first of their kind to be constructed in the central and eastern areas of the county. In those early years, mail was carried by Sampson Crocker, who traveled by foot to the new settlements, during walks — once a week, carrying mail on his back — from Ellicottville to Mayville.
Among early settlers was Englishman Abraham Reynolds, who arrived in 1818, straight from London. According to reports of that era, Reynolds was the subject of much attention, after hiking from Charlotte to New York City, a feat he completed twice.
The municipality was officially organized on April 18, 1829, when it was formed and separated from the town of Gerry.
The first town meeting took place on March 2, 1830, at the Charlotte Center residence of Mr. and Mrs. David Randall. Elected that year, Nathan Lake was the town’s first supervisor. The new town was named for another town of Charlotte on Lake Champlain, Chittenden County, Vermont, where Mrs. Randall’s former home was located.