BRUSSELS (AP) — Google says the number of requests from people seeking to have some search results removed in Europe has jumped to 70,000 by the end of June.
The Internet giant said Thursday each application on average asks for the removal of almost four links, meaning experts have to evaluate more than a quarter million requests.
The company last month said it had received about 50,000 requests since May 29. Since that time, another 20,000 requests have come in. It says it currently receives about 1,000 per day.
Google has to comply with a strict privacy ruling made in May by the European Union's top court that enables citizens to ask for the removal of embarrassing personal information that pops up on a search of their names.