Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Extras | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS

Natural gas odor at WAEC

September 24, 2010
Classes at Warren Area Elementary Center were disrupted Wednesday afternoon after the odor of natural gas was detected in one wing of the building. According to district officials, students were removed from the area at about 9:45 a.m. when the smell was noticed. “As a precaution, students were moved to another wing of the building,” Director of Instructional Technology and Communication Amy Stewart said. “We took all precautions necessary.” “District maintenance staff and employees of National Fuel were quickly on site,” Stewart said. “After testing and investigation, all lines and equipment at the school were determined to be functioning properly.” Officials determined that the school was not the cause of the smell, Stewart said. She said nearby drilling operations could have been the source. Students were back to their regular classes by noon, according to Stewart. “We are very proud of how well behaved and cooperative our students were during the entire process,” she said. Notes were sent home with students Wednesday afternoon and the district’s call blast system was also used to notify families of the situation.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web