Helen Lee has retired as administrative assistant to the Rev. Gerald P. Sheehan, pastor of St. Rose of Lima Parish in Forestville, and as religious education coordinator. A surprise party was hosted by the parish in the church hall to honor Mrs. Lee, a recipient of the St. Joseph the Worker Award. She had worked under four different pastors since beginning her position.
Thirty years ago 1982
The new cross standing in St. Mary's Cemetery has special meaning for many people, in particular for parishioners of the former Sacred Heart Parish, Dunkirk which was founded in 1858 and ceased to exist 117 years later. Shortly after the founding of the predominantly German parish, its members were offered use of facilities at St. Mary's Cemetery, organized in 1851. The cross is that which topped the Sacred Heart Church tower since 1927 and is now dedicated in memory of the 10 pastors who served at Sacred Heart and deceased parishioners.
Forty years ago - 1972
John A. Glenzer of 183 Water St., Fredonia has received his doctor of education degree in science education from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Fifty years ago - 1962
Dr. and Mrs. Lewis Rabinowitz of Howard Street, Fredonia have returned home after attending the annual New York State Optometric Convention at Bolton Landing. Dr. Rabinowitz was re-elected secretary of the Vision Conservation Institute.