Through a joint effort between the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, a new 30-foot light tower has been installed on the Niagara Mohawk corner of the western harbor entrance. The old 52-foot tower, which has been in use since 1939, has been donated to the Dunkirk Historical Lighthouse and Veterans Park Museum.
Thirty years ago - 1982
Mrs. William Burley, 78 East Main St., Fredonia has been reunited with her brother, Seamus McGonagle, after a separation of 28 years. Mr. McGonagle of Dublin, Ireland is the world news editor of The Irish Press, the national newspaper of Ireland. He arrived at the home of his sister on July 1. This is his first visit to the United States.
Forty years ago - 1972
Ground has been broken for a six-apartment complex at 726 Central Ave., Dunkirk. The project is being built by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Casale of 757 Eagle St., Dunkirk.
Fifty years ago - 1962
Fifth-prize winners in the annual talent show at Gowanda State Hospital were the tap dancing duet of Frances St. George and Bernadette Kuwik. They are the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel St. George, 51 Orchard St., Fredonia and Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Kuwik, 59 East Front St., Dunkirk.