CHARLOTTE - The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office says no injuries were sustained during a house fire in Charlotte Tuesday morning.
Around 6:50 a.m., a house fire was reported at the residence of Kevin and Beth Oakes at 2812 Hooker Road in the Town of Charlotte. The Sinclairville Fire Department responded to the scene and was assisted by Cassadaga, Cherry Creek, Ellington, Ellery Center, Falconer, Gerry, Lily Dale and Stockton fire departments.
The fire damage was limited to a second floor bedroom and roof of the residence.
Fire damage to a house in Charlotte was limited to a second-floor bedroom.
The Oakes' adult daughter was the sole occupant at the time of the fire, and was asleep in a separate second floor bedroom at the time of the fire.
She was awoken by several smoke detectors being activated inside the house. According to the sheriff's office, the daughter was able to escape without injuries because the smoke detectors were installed and operating properly.
The Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team was requested to determine the origin and cause of the fire.
The investigation showed that the fire started in a confined space where the home's wood burning furnace chimney was located.
The fire has been ruled accidental due to combustibles being too close to the chimney.