With cold temperatures and snow expected over the next week, the American Red Cross of Southwestern NY urges residents to get prepared.
Exposure to cold and snow can cause injury or serious illness such as frostbite or hypothermia, and as temperatures drop, people may resort to alternative heat sources, which can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or fires. The Red Cross offers these tips to stay safe in the cold weather:
Use generators correctly never operate a generator inside the home, including the basement or garage. Do not hook up a generator directly to the home's wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment needed directly to the outlets on the generator.
Prevent frozen pipes - when the weather is very cold outside, open cabinet doors to let warm air circulate around water pipes. Let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes.
Don't forget family pets bring them indoors. If that's not possible, provide adequate shelter to keep them warm and make sure they can get to unfrozen water.
Avoid using a stove or oven to heat the home. Keep a glass or metal fire screen around the fireplace and never leave a fireplace fire unattended.
If using a space heater, place it on a level, hard, nonflammable surface. Turn the space heater off when leaving the room or going to sleep. Keep children and pets away from the space heater and do not use it to dry wet clothing.
When traveling in the winter:
Carry an emergency preparedness kit in the trunk.
Keep the car's gas tank full for emergency use and to keep the fuel line from freezing.
If someone does get stuck, stay with the car. Do not try to walk to safety.
Start the car and use the heater for about 10 minutes every hour. Keep the exhaust pipe clear so fumes won't back up in the car.
Leave the overhead light on when the engine is running to help rescuers see the vehicle.