Twenty years ago - 1993
The Portland Congregational church recently celebrated its 175th anniversary at the Sunday service. The church was organized by the Rev. John Spencer, a missionary, at a meeting held Jan. 31, 1818. This was the first organized church in Portland with 18 charter members. In 1841, at a cost of $1,600, the present church structure was erected on land purchased from John Quigley. The church bell was a gift from B.F. Pecor at a cost of $10 in 1910. Since its founding, the church has had 45 pastors. Average attendance at Sunday services is 60 people. The longest membership belongs to Alice Munson Lilley, who joined the church in 1921.
Thirty years ago - 1983
The Gowanda Lions Club has named Theodore "Ted" Palcic as Lion of the Year. Mr. Palcic, a charter member, was recognized for his continued and faithful participation in club programs. Also noted was his perfect membership attendance. He is also credited with the American Flag Display Program, which since 1964 has provided the flag displays in Gowanda's business district on national holidays and during special village events.
Forty years ago - 1973
Today is the 20th anniversary of the installation of Msgr. Celestine Joseph Damiano, son of Stella Damiano of Dunkirk and the late Vito Damiano, as archbishop of Nicopolis in Epirus, Greece, and apostolic delegate to South Africa.
Fifty years ago - 1963
Mrs. George O. Skinner and Mr. and Mrs. Max Smith, all of Portland, are attending the Association of Towns meeting today in New York City.