CHERRY CREEK - Bittersweet memories were shared as a well-known historic building was demolished in Cherry Creek recently.
Most recently remembered as the site of the North Winds Restaurant, the building was sold by Flo Rodgers, former owner and proprietor of the restaurant, and purchased by the NOCO Corp. to make room for new development.
"There goes a piece of history," said Rick Young, Cherry Creek public works superintendent.
OBSERVER?Photo by Sue Ann Fish
The building which formerly housed The North Winds Restaurant on Main Street in Cherry Creek was demolished recently.
Remembered by lifelong residents of the village, the former Wheeler building was owned and operated as a livery stable by Addison Bronson from 1893 until 1895.
It was then sold to S.E. Young, who also operated a livery stable there.
Quite the entrepreneur, Bronson bought what was known at the time as the "old school building," and moved it up to Main Street, right next to the livery stable, which was remodeled and made into a hotel.
The convenience of a hotel next door to the livery was invaluable at the time.
Over time, and under the ownership of Young, the livery portion of the business was moved to the rear of the property, and the building was used as the Cherry Creek Bus and Livery.
The bus was actually an enclosed, horse-drawn carriage, complete with glass windows, which would bring visitors to the area up from the train depot. Young, who had been in the livery business from the age of 15, even had a well drilled on the property, which was powered by a windmill, and supplied water for the horses.
In 1910 the property came under the ownership of William and Clifford Bullock, who completely remodeled the building's interior and operated a grocery store there from 1910 until 1912.
In 1913 the building was sold to Marietta Coulson, who operated a drug store until 1935. An advertisement for the drugstore, which appeared in a program booklet for the Cherry Creek baseball team, boasts, "Coulson's Drug Store, prescriptions carefully compounded from pure drugs. Try our ice cream sodas and sundaes, or take home a brick for the family."
Sharon Howe Sweeting related stories of her brother, Gary Howe, enjoying the sodas made at the long, steel counter and soda fountain, because they knew "just how to make them perfectly there." Mrs. Coulson operated the drug store with her son, Robert, until her death in 1928. Robert continued the operation until his death in 1935, and Robert's brother Harry operated the drug store until he sold it to Alvin Haglund in 1941.
Four years later, Frank Mansfield, who was known in town as a friend to everyone, operated the drug store and lunch counter until his death in February 1984.
The store was remodeled many times over the years until it was purchased by Mrs. Rodgers and became the North Winds Restaurant.