Twenty years ago - 1993
In a "Do You Remember?" photo, the Ladies Drum Corps from Lake City Hose Co. No. 3 in Dunkirk poses back in 1954 or 1955. The fire hall in the background was eventually torn down and the new Hose 3 fire hall (now the Daniel Anson Hose Co. No. 3) was built nearby on Middle Road. The photo is from the collection of Robert "Red" Kachermeyer of Dunkirk.
Thirty years ago - 1983
The congregation at Trinity Lutheran Church, Porter Avenue and Adams Street, Silver Creek will mark the 100th anniversary of its parish this year. Dedicated on Aug. 12, 1883, the church took the name of the First German Evangelical Lutheran Church. Forty families were listed as charter members. Although it has undergone several changes, the frame structure still stands. The cost of the original building was estimated at $2,800.
Forty years ago - 1973
Bertha Lesch of Fredonia was announced today as the winner in the Junior Showmanship class of the Chautauqua County 4-H Dog Show. In addition, she tied with Debbie Haas, also of Fredonia, in the Beginner Obedience class.
Fifty years ago - 1963
The Chautauqua County Council, F. & A.M., held its first ever ladies night this month. Also, Emil A. Puder of Dunkirk received a plaque for outstanding service to Masonry from the New York State Grand Lodge.