I have some good news and some bad news. I am going to share some things that are good for you, and some things that are bad for you. But if you consider that knowledge is always a good thing, then it's all good news. This information comes from a health publication, "Nutrition Action." Here's a list of information to think about:
1. If you are in the habit of eating Marie Callender's chicken pot pie, be aware that the number of calories and sodium amount listed is only for one half of a pie. So if you eat the whole thing, you are ingesting double those numbers!
2. Even though Parkay margarine sticks packaging says "No Cholesterol," it doesn't mean the product is good for you and your heart. Each tablespoon of spread has 1 1/2 grams of trans fat and 1 1/2 grams of saturated fat. Tub margarines are better for you. Always read the labels.
3. You know how we've all been brainwashed to eat Campbell's Soup? Well, those soups contain 760 mgs. of sodium per serving. The whole can contains 1,900 mgs of sodium! Look for soups with reduced sodium. And don't shake on more salt!
4. Have you ordered a chocolate tower truffle cake, thinking it wasn't that bad for you? Get this. It stands 6 inches tall, weighs 3/4 of a pound, has 1,700 calories and fifty grams of saturated fat!
5. Beware of Pillsbury's rolls and biscuits made from partially hydrogenated oils.
6. At Olive Garden, you can order three entrees: homemade lasagna, lightly breaded chicken parmagiana and creamy fettucine alfredo. Well, that comes with 1,450 calories, 33 grams of saturated fat, and 3,800 mgs. of sodium. And that's without soup, salad, bread, and other appetizers! Those numbers are equal to a whole day's worth of calories and four days' worth of sodium!
7. Starbucks Venti (20 oz.) white chocolate mocha latte with two percent milk and whipped cream is worse than a McDonald's quarter pounder with cheese. This beverage has 580 calories, 14 grams of saturated fat and 13 teaspoons of added sugar.
8. Ice cream is loaded with cholesterol and saturated fat.
I could go on, but let's think rationally and make things good for everybody. First, I want to appeal to the people who are in business and ask them to see what they can do to get manufacturers to make more wholesome, healthier products. As for you who make products, cut down on the unhealthy things in your products and come up with some healthy ideas of your own. You may even get more business that way. Americans are creative. That's what has taken us so far.
Now I'm going to give you a list of really healthy foods that you should be eating. The farmers who grow and sell these products should do well. Replace some of those bad foods with these foods: mangoes, sweet potatoes, unsweetened Greek yogurt, broccoli, wild salmon, garbanzo beans, watermelon, whole grains, butternut squash, leafy greens like kale, collard greens, spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens and Swiss chard. Leafy greens are loaded with vitamins A, C and K, folate, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, lutein and fiber. Serve them with lemon juice and red wine vinegar.
If any of you out there have a problem with obesity, look first at your diet. See what you can eliminate and what you should be eating. Let's help each other be healthy.
I want to share with you the beautiful weekend we had. I was blessed because Pam Prince's helper called me up and told me about the nondenominational conference that was going to take place in Rochester over the weekend. It was called "Women of Faith." This convention was open to all women of any faith - all women believers were welcome. I could invite a friend, too. It sounded great, so I decided to go and to bring my friend. What an experience!
When the band backed up the singers who performed there, it sounded like a Christian rock band. It was really loud! But every so often the women sang a capella and it sounded heavenly! The speakers were outstanding. The people were all so accommodating, and everyone was enthusiastic. Pam has already decided to buy 50 tickets for next year. So if you want to go, call Pam at 672-6012 soon to reserve your spot!
Thank you for allowing me to make this column informative. It has helped me to have a better life. I hope it does the same for you!