The first phase of Stefan's quarter-million dollar harborfront expansion project has been completed. Every effort was made by Lou and Cyndy Stefan to purchase services and supplies locally and in New York state. The steel piling and stalls, woodwork of New York oak, $10,000 restrooms, facade improvements and complete electrical update are by Joe Moch, General Contractor, of Dunkirk. Hardware supplier was Weiss Hardware and electrician Ron Pachol of Dunkirk also took part. The completion date is slated for April '94. Stefan's Recreation & Captain Lou's is located on Route 5 West, on the Dunkirk Harborfront.
Thirty years ago - 1983
The 75th anniversary of the founding of Fredonia Chapter 430, Order of the Eastern Star, was celebrated Oct. 11 in the Masonic Lodge, East Main Street, Fredonia. Written and narrated by Mildred Kitzmiller, the program reverted to the year 1908 when the Fredonia Chapter was instituted and the charter was granted. Cast members wore original costumes of the period.
Forty years ago - 1973
A delayed steel delivery has slowed construction of Perkins Pancake House on Bennett Road near Route 20 in Fredonia. In addition, it still remains a mystery as to whether or not steaks will be served at the local location.
Fifty years ago - 1963
Dunkirk Superintendent of Schools Franklin H. Hazzard recommended the athletic field on West Sixth Street as the best possible site for a new senior high school in Dunkirk.